Water In the Basement Can Cause Ear Infections

Water in a basement can be the cause of many different problems, such as concrete weakening and damage, floor repair costs from flooding, and rotting and molding issues, which in turn can lead to severe health concerns.

Dealing with water in the basement is a yearly issue in North America, since the bulk of the continent is prone to spring ground thaw and large temperature changes. But early prevention is key to both foundation and health protection. Sealants, accessible drainage, proper airflow, and cleaning maintenance will deal with water in the basement issues before they start.

Both outer and inner foundation leaks from ground thaw and rain and wall and pipe condensation are prime areas where mold begins to develop. Water in a basement produces damp oxygen deficient spots after evaporation. Moisture from basement bathrooms also produce mold, occurring on any surface but most commonly along upper walls, ceilings, and floor corners.

Many different types of mold exist, and among the worst human respiratory toxins released from them, are mycotoxins. A common but dangerous mold type is Aspergillus, or "Black Mold." Black mold is formed by evaporated moisture or collected water in the basement. Aside from respiratory damage, especially in asthmatics, in severe allergic cases black mold can cause fungal ear infections, and canal and membrane damage. The effects of black mold can be painful and debilitating, and in some people can cause more serious problems. Removal of black mold is also a health risk, and proper breathing protection should be worn during this job.